Sunday, February 12, 2006

Disaster Looking For A Place To Happen

Well that kinda sums up what is going on here. False start but I think it is okay now. This wasn't a stumble out of the block, it was a fall flat on my face out of the block. So, with that said...

The gauge turned out to be all wrong. I hate gauge. I detest it. I have bad, evil words I want to say to gauge strips. In fact I am thinking them now and these are not nice grandmotherly words, proving that the face of knitting has changed. I think what happens is that I hate doing the gauge so much, that I get myself all tense and then throw the *&^%#$ thing off - then I start the actual project and get all comfy and relaxed and end up with something that is like 10 to the power of 4 bigger than it was in the practice swatch.

So I had to start over AGAIN - but I think it is okay now.

In the meantime, my daughter is in this too, and she is knitting a shawl and she is on straight needles. I didn't think a brand new knitter, who is only 15, could knit that far in two days. She needs a circular needle. Do you think I have a circular needle in the size she needs? NOOOOO That would be too easy! And do you think there is even one blasted U.S. 13 circular needle in this whole town???? NOOOOO. So I am on Ebay last night in the middle of the night, trying to find one (which I did) and convincing the seller that I want to pay for priority or overnight or strap the damn thing to a carrier pigeon's leg and get it here NOW!! (I really want this kid to succeed in this - good for the ego and future of the craft - blah, blah) It's that mother thing - my kid needs a needle - "DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?"

So anyway, we are, otherwise doing fine. I would love to hear if anyone else is having some "glitches" And where are the Nebraska knitters??? *whine*

*sigh* I feel better now.

Adelle
www.hankeringforyarn.com
www.nebraskaknitters.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Oh yeah, I'm having glitches! I've ripped back a bit due to dye lot disaster. I got 6" into a sleeve before I allowed myself to admit that it was insanely big around and that I needed to rip it out, redesign the sleeve, and start over. Chaos put a fang nick in my Addi cable that I had to buff out with a polishing emery board. Um, that's it... so far.

Kudos to your daughter! How fun to have someone knitting with you right there. Does she want to join the team?! :)

8:01 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

I'm right with you there on the 'my kid needs it, so we're getting it RIGHT NOW' issue. I hope your daughter joins Team Midwest, even though in effect you already have your own little team right there!

~Eileen

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home